Universität Hildesheim – Stiftung des öffentlichen Rechts –
Bildung – Kultur – Diversität – Digitalisierung
reference no 2024/4 (english)
At the University of Hildesheim, the Institute for Music and Musicology, Faculty 2 – Cultural Studies and Aesthetic Communication, has a vacancy from 01.02.2024 for a position as
PhD Research Candidate in Ethnomusicology (m/f/d) (TV-L E 13, 65%)
until the 31.01.2027.
- Undertake independent research in ethnomusicology of South Asia with a special focus on one of the following themes: music and modernity; music, caste, class; music and labor; music and marginalised/exploited communities; music and religion; music and politics
- Teaching in ethnomusicology within the course programs of cultural studies and of “Lehramt Musik” (2,6 weekly hours)
- Support in the conception and implementation of publications, research projects, and conferences
- Pursuing own further scientific qualification within the framework of a PhD dissertation
- Successful completion of a master’s degree in the field of ethnomusicology or related fields
- Familiarity with theory and method in anthropology/ethnomusicology or related discipline in Humanities or Social Sciences
- Experience in academic research and writing
- Openness to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches to research
- Very good knowledge of English as the supervision of the dissertation will be in English and the thesis should also be submitted in English.
- A background in musical practice/performance is desired
- Existing teaching experience is an advantage
Application documents (submit in English):
- Research Proposal: The research proposal should not exceed 5 pages of a word document including references.
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should not be more than two pages of a word document. It should explain why you wish to pursue doctoral research at the University of Hildesheim, your inspiration to work on a particular topic and the relevant experience you may have with regards to academic research and teaching.
As a family-friendly university, we offer a varied, interdisciplinary range of tasks, flexible working hours, regular further and advanced training and a special annual payment within the framework of TV-L. In joining the university, you will become part of a dynamic, committed and open-minded team.
The University of Hildesheim has adopted a mission statement that places great importance on gender equality and diversity.
The University of Hildesheim particularly wants to promote the professional equality of women and men. Therefore, it aims to increase the proportion of employees of the gender that is underrepresented in the respective area.
In the case of equal qualification and suitability, applications from applicants with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration.
Online interviews will take place in English at the end of November 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Matthias Rebstock via email: email@example.com.
For university degrees obtained abroad, a certificate evaluation by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) is required as proof of equivalence prior to employment. If necessary, please apply for this in due time. For more information, please visit https://www.kmk.org/zeugnisbewertung
Please applybefore01.11.2023 via the online career portal. Click („Online Bewerbung“) on the bottom of the screen.
This is a translation. The original job posting in German is authoritative and available under https://bewerbung.uni-hildesheim.de/jobposting/9b16de14e8b0cb8df0394a293d029b5a9800c2350.